Your Community the BIG Debate 2020/2025

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Your Community the BIG Debate 2020/2025

• Author

zinger
    Participant

I always believed that by paying National Insurance, it was an insurance like any other, the purpose of which was to be paid out in old age. They may call it a different name now but it is still the same thing. I agree 100% with johnhoppy.

johnhoppy
    Participant

I agree with you entirely BanjaminM, but your choice of words in your original post seemed to imply that the present generation of pensioners were reaping the benefit of existing workers without having contributed in the past, which is of course nonsense.

moggsie
    Participant

@wxm 14108 wrote:

Industry and business employs the vast majority of people, and historically the benevolent and supportive nature of employers vastly helped communities to be charitable, and to support those in need. Large examples are social clubs, and smaller examples, keeping in contact with retired employees and providing Christmas vouchers. Port Sunlight is a good model to talk about, it enriched the lives of so many, by developing culture, not just housing.

you might be looking back with rose-tinted glasses perhaps ?

You can find examples of altruism in the private sector in all prior decades.

But what is the norm ?

moggsie
    Participant

@BenjaminM 14234 wrote:

It is all very well to dwell on the past, but my main concern focuses on the younger generations who have little or no hope of enjoying the benefits that Senior Citizens are enjoying today.

well said !

moggsie
    Participant

@johnhoppy 14241 wrote:

I have two grown up children and neither of them has ever been unemployed and both of them have managed to buy, and still paying for, a house through their own sweat and tears. They occasionally come to ‘Dad’ with the inevitable crisis from time to time, but generally they have what they have as a result of their own work and effort. Many youngsters today have a sense of entitlement, but work will not find them, they have to go and look for it.

My kids have not had a priviliged upbringing, both having had local Secondary school education, and they do not have high flying jobs, but they prove that there IS work out there for those who seek it.

But will your kids look upon their fellow neighbours as competitors in life or as fellow human beings ?

Our own work & effort maybe serves us & our children in the short term- but what does it really deliver our children & descendants in years to come ?

johnhoppy
    Participant

moggsie

We can all only do our little bit. If we are employed we do our little bit for society, and one occupation can not exist in isolation of another. I have had several occupations in this life, from a Bank Manager, Pub Landlord and driving buses and each has its own skills and responsibilities. The most satisfying (although not most profitable) was being a pub landlord in a village pub. In a village pub most of your customers are regulars, and are creatures of habit and when they didn’t turn up when expected I was always concerned, and on more than one occasion a ‘missing’ person would be ill alone, or on one occasion had been robbed on the way home the previous night and was injured. I like to think I made a difference to them in that I cared about them and was in a position to ‘look out’ for them.

We can only hope that our kids have inherited some of our caring, but the fact that they are in employment shows that they are doing their bit for society and are not a drain on it.

wxm
    Participant

@moggsie 14247 wrote:

you might be looking back with rose-tinted glasses perhaps ?
    You can find examples of altruism in the private sector in all prior decades.
    But what is the norm ?

The question is how will we sustain the future? How and why has society behaved the way it has in each period? Each decade in the last century has its defining effect on our social structure, economic performance, and the physical, mental and environmental health on society generally? The debate I’m probably highlighting is what is the balance of input and responsibility of public services, business, voluntary work, and family and friends.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Don’t know about five/ten years time there are all sorts of issues affecting communities now. Looking at the report going to Council Executive next week there are even more cuts to community services in 2015/16.
    Groups are already struggling to raise funds to keep going – it is harder now to raise a £1000 than what it was a few years ago.
    There is more need than ever for people in communities to band together if we want to keep any form of community spirit with everything from a Playgroup to a Senior Citizens club,

Alunh
    Participant

@moggsie 14249 wrote:

But will your kids look upon their fellow neighbours as competitors in life or as fellow human beings ?

Both. I have run a business for years and try to be as competitive as I can. At the same time, I have a total regard for my community and my neighbours. Many of my “neighbours” have been staff and advantaged by my/their endeavours. Many of my customers are “neighbours” and I like to think that my work has enriched their lives. Ultimately, it is the competitive ethic that has transformed our country from some 8 million people living in abject poverty in real terms in 1801 to prosperity in the modern era.

wxm
    Participant

As a community, we have to start answering this question based on what we understand the community will need. Do we know the forecast numbers of those in need, and what those needs are likely to be?

One good example must be social isolation, and the second transport from remote places for those in need of medical care and support.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Grand opening of the Erlas Victorian Walled Garden new Sensory Garden

News

Votes now open for the Welsh Ambulance Service Awards 2024!

News

Wrexham AFC ‘PressOn’ and off the pitch with new sustainable stadium wraps

News

Daughter of “luckiest man to be alive” joins choir to mark 90th anniversary of Gresford pit disaster

News

Harry’s Duck Race raises thousands for charity in memory of young Wrexham boy

News

Dedicated nurse who served during Falklands War retires after 49 years

News