Ty Pawb

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

Good summary of the latest TY Pawb disastrous financial position. The so called mitigation figures are what you would expect a small community centre to produce if they had problems.
    The so called additional income is negligible.
    Presume also there are vast number of Officer time that is not allocated from central Council costs.
    70% occupancy does not mean 70% are paying rent. A number are charities or Social Enterprise with either zero or very low rent just to make the place look full.
    The vast energy bills clearly shows a total disregard to running costs in the original building plans.
    What is the real benefit of Ty Pawb with such massive deficits, could all the activity that takes place be relocated elsewhere.
    On top of these losses what are the protected costs for the old library?

parkingmad
    Participant

In all the time it has been open I have been in there about 5 times, their has been nothing there to interest me. Bring back the market.

MP1953
    Participant

Derek/Parkingmad. Perfectly sensible legitimate comments and questions, but hang about a minute the new market will be open soon, who is going to occupy that ?

Said it before about Ty Pawb “WHITE ELEPHANT” and will the new market be the same ?

By the way parkingmad I walk through Ty Pawb most days and as you quite rightly say as Martha Reeves song goes “No One there” although it is nice to walk through in the cold bleak winter for a warm :)

jimbow
    Participant

70% occupancy level and the building does still not show a positive monitory return. Surely rental figures are off the mark.

It is hard to break down the actual figures given for number of stalls. The old People’s market side was converted into 14 general stalls and 6 food outlets, a total of 20. The Report now quotes some 48 outlets, of which 34 are occupied and 14 vacant. Are the south mall/Chester street shops included in the 48? It would be interesting to know how many of the original 20 general/food outlets are vacant, bearing in mind new tenants are required for the reopening Butchers/General Markets in October.

Maybe a Councillor will consider asking at the meeting tomorrow the state of the Ty Pawb market section occupation as opposed to the overall general picture.

DerekJackson
    Participant

You can almost predict when the refurbished market reopens that combined with Ty Pawb vacancy combined will be approximately 50%vacancy. Of those that are occupied a number will be charity type outlets on lower rent.
    The Council know if they read their own expensively produced reports that the town already has app. 30% excess retail floor space due to changing shopping habits.
    No easy answers but subsidising retail space at the rate proposed in next weeks report is nothing short of financial mismanagement and mal administration.

jimbow
    Participant

Derek:- Short of financial mismanagement and mal administration sums it up completely.

I have just been to Ty Pawb myself and the market side comes across as being in a right state.

Of the 14 general stalls, 8 were vacant. I was told of situations that I have no reason not to believe of units not receiving invoices for rent for months. Units leaving whilst owing rent.
    Moral comes across at an all-time low, and mutterings of tenants wanting to relocate to the refurbished Butchers Market.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council ‘won’t hesitate to issue fines’ on dog fouling

News

Man thanks medical team for saving his life after cardiac arrest at Llangollen Eisteddfod

News

Sports academy thriving with record attendance and community engagement

News

Ann Cleeves to discuss new Vera Stanhope mystery at Wrexham event

News

North Wales rock band “in more demand that Oasis’ inspires 40,000 students on music tour

News

New partnership to boost employability for underrepresented youngsters in Wrexham

News