Another Proposed Supermarket for the Town.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Another Proposed Supermarket for the Town.

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=97380]

there is likely to be another drag on the town’s vibrancy

Really ? A supermarket’s going to effect the town’s vibrancy ?

[/quote]I am with AMA on this one. What is likely to have an effect though, is the news that TKMaxx are relocating to Plas Coch. I think then that a more appropriate adjective to describe the town centre would be ‘lifeless’

Huw
    Participant

I can’t see the problem with this at all. Aldi has far better quality food at better prices than the crap you see in Tesco, Asda & Morrisons. Sainsburys sell some nice things but are well overpriced, their prices are on par with M&S but knowhere near as good quality wise. Good on Aldi I say for bringing good value to the town!

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

This is great news, another big name store investing in Wrexham.
    Although I was a little hopeful that Aldi would build a new store on the old Brymbo steelworks land :)

I am taking from the “At present there is only one Aldi store in Wrexham” comment that this will be an additional store, which makes sense given the distance between the locations.

Morrisons recently started price matching brand items with Aldi (not that Aldi sells many brands) as Morrisons were already struggling. This may actually help as regular Aldi customers may venture across the road for additional items they cant find or even just a look around.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=97402]

there is likely to be another drag on the town’s vibrancy

Really ? A supermarket’s going to effect the town’s vibrancy ?

I actually agree with you on this one. It seems crazy though that a concerted effort has not been made by the powers that be running Wales to really have a look at why towns are not vibrant and the same issues keep coming back again and again. Firstly, businesses like Aldi and T K Maxx want to be able to provide easy access for cars, free for their customers. This makes the town centre fairly useless for any potential development. Secondly, the same businesses are very Rates conscious. Ironically, the Rates out of town are much much cheaper than in town, yet out of town the businesses can utilise the free facilities for Parking. Whilst some may think that Wrexham HAS to be a basket case, I prefer to think that if only someone with half a brain in the Welsh Assembly saw the damage being done to our towns and acted we could reverse course………….and yes, Benjamin…..I suspect we both think that pigs are more likely to fly on this one

I am with AMA on this one. What is likely to have an effect though, is the news that TKMaxx are relocating to Plas Coch. I think then that a more appropriate adjective to describe the town centre would be ‘lifeless’

[/quote]

Alunh
    Participant

I can’t seem to edit my last post which has copied and pasted all over the place. Apologies to Benjamin. His bit is at the bottom

wrexview
    Participant

With TKMaxx relocating , their old store on the Island Green would be ideal for a supermarket in the town centre , that car park is privately owned so perhaps they could come up with scheme that would cover the car parking charges making it free for Aldi shoppers. We need something creative to bring new energy to the Town Centre.

Pinky02
    Participant

I am all for competition between supermarkets, but to build yet another concrete box when there are so many empty retail outlets within the town is ridiculous. When are Wrexham Council going to wake up to the fact that we do not need any more retail buildings. Wrexham is a disgrace!

D R
    Keymaster

[quote quote=97400]I had assumed that the new Aldi would replace the existing one, like when Iceland moved to island green.
    Do the planning documents say that they are keeping both stores?

[/quote]

I think they’ve recently given the store a refurb / new signage on Plas Coch – so imagine that store will remain open and is doing pretty well :)

BenjaminM
    Participant

I think they’ve recently given the store a refurb / new signage on Plas Coch – so imagine that store will remain open and is doing pretty well :)
    [/quote]

Just had a déjà – vu moment! Didn’t I say that 6 hours ago?

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

[quote quote=97420]I am all for competition between supermarkets, but to build yet another concrete box when there are so many empty retail outlets within the town is ridiculous. When are Wrexham Council going to wake up to the fact that we do not need any more retail buildings. Wrexham is a disgrace!
    [/quote]

None of the empty stores in the town centre are really suited for a supermarket. Where could people park so they could wheel a trolley full of items to their car?

The TK Maxx store would be a possibility but I can’t see the privately run car park showing any favouritism towards a single company.

New investment in the area is always a good thing and a brand new building that doesn’t look like a concrete box can only be a good thing. Add to that the extra jobs and it’s good news all round.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

High-profile barrister supports criminalising deliberate deception by Senedd members

News

Four city centre streets to undergo major refurb and pedestrianisation

News

Plans to create permanent dog walking space in Penycae

News

High-profile barrister supports criminal offence for lying politicians in Senedd

News

Police patrols increased in Cefn Mawr after “isolated incident”

News

Man charged after aggravated burglary in Ruabon

News